Police Home
Chief of Police

Admin. Bureau
Precinct Info

Special Ops.

Police Academy
Media Relations
Comm. Relations
Internal Affairs

Alarm Unit


Chaplain Program
Contact Info

News Releases


What To Do If You Are Involved
 In A Motor Vehicle Accident

STOP YOUR CAR – Never leave the scene of an accident in which you or your car were involved. No matter how slight the collision, if you fail to stop, you may leave yourself open to criminal prosecution even though the accident was not your fault. Stop your car as soon as possible without further endangering any person or property and without blocking traffic.

GET AID FOR THE INJURED – If any one has been hurt, call 911 and ask for an ambulance. Do not attempt first aid unless you are qualified to give it. You may make matters worse instead of better.

CALL THE POLICE – Call 911 for the police even if there are no injuries.

EXCHANGE INFORMATION – As the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident, you are required by state law to give the other driver, any injured person, the owner of any damaged property, and the police the following:

  • your name,
  • your address,
  • your driver’s license number,
  • your motor vehicle’s registration number, and
  • the name and address of each person in your car.


  • If you have any doubt at all about your own condition or that of the passengers in your car, see a doctor as soon as possible. Ask your passengers to do the same.
  • Make sure you give the doctor or emergency room personnel a complete and accurate report of exactly what happened and what injuries you think you have, no matter how minor they seem.
  • Some injuries, especially injuries to muscles and tendons do not always manifest themselves immediately. It can take hours to days before you experience the full impact of your injuries.


If you are out-of-town, or it is not practical for you to come to the Huntsville Police Department to obtain a copy of the accident report , send either a money order or certified check in the amount of $10.50 with a stamped, self addressed envelope and the order form given to you by the investigating officer to:

 Huntsville Police Department
P.O. Box 2085
Huntsville, Alabama 35804-2085
 Attn: Records Division

Accident Reports May Also be Obtained Online

Copyright 2013 The City of Huntsville, Alabama           01-14-2013