HUNTSVILLE POLICE DEPARTMENT
815 Wheeler Ave.
Huntsville, Alabama 35801
|Sgt. Mark Roberts
Public Information Officer
Announces Street Closings and
Parking Availability for Big Spring Jam XVII-September 25-27, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama (September 21, 2009) The Huntsville Department is preparing for another safe and successful Big Spring Jam this weekend. The boundaries for Big Spring Jam will include Monroe Street, Clinton Avenue, Lowe Avenue and Pollard Street. See attached map.
On Wednesday September 23rd, street closings will begin at 10AM on Williams Avenue from Church Street to Monroe Street and south on Monroe Street to the roundabout north of St. Clair Avenue. Access will be maintained to the Scruggs Community Center, the James A. Williams Aquatic Center and the Embassy Suites through Thursday. After Thursday, access to these venues will be from Davis Circle. Access to the Holiday Inn will be maintained on Lowe Avenue from Gallatin Street to the southern most entrance of the Hotel throughout the three-day festival.
At 6PM on Wednesday, all lanes of Monroe Street from Holmes Avenue to Clinton Avenue will be closed; however, access to the Monroe Street entrance to the bus station will be maintained throughout the festival. All lanes of Clinton Avenue from Woodson Street to Church Street will be closed throughout the festival. All streets will be open again for normal traffic flow by Monday September 28th at 4PM.
To avoid traffic congestion, Chief Reyes recommends drivers consider parking their vehicles in well lit designated parking lots for better security. He also suggested that attendees use public transportation to and from the event whenever possible. Secure bicycle parking racks have been added to this years event at entrances located at the Lowe Avenue Gate and Clinton/Church Street Gate. All drivers in the downtown areas this weekend are encouraged to drive with caution watching for children, pedestrians and bicycles around the Big Spring Jam site.
City parking facilities within a 2 block area will be available for people attending Big Spring Jam. All parking facilities can be seen on Parkinghuntsville.com or bigspringjam.org. Parking cost will be $5 per vehicle at all City of Huntsville Facilities.
The Parking Facilities to be open are as follows:
· VBC Garage - known as garage M - the entrance will be on Church Street
· Central City Garage - known as garage O entrance on Clinton
· Colonial Garage - known as garage B entrance on Fountain Circle
· Lot K - large lot at the corner of Clinton and Woodson with the entrance on Woodson
· Lot I lot adjacent to the Aquatic Center across from the Embassy Suites Hotel entrance on Monroe Street
· Lot H corner of Jefferson St and Holmes Avenue entrance on Spragins Street
· Old Mental Health Lot located south of Williams on Gallatin Street
Additional ADA spaces will be added to Lot I and Garage M; the other facilities have ADA spaces and we will add more if needed.
The following is the schedule of when City Parking Facilities will be open:
· Friday 3:30 pm with BSJ gates to open at 5:30 pm
· Saturday 2 pm with BSJ gates to open at 4 pm
· Sunday 2 pm with BSJ gates to open at 4 pm